Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sagra, Davis Square, Somerville

On Saturday night, we ventured over to Somerville Theatre to attend a screening of the IFF Boston's documentary “Trust Us, This Is All Made Up”. Unfortunately, we showed up late so we had to get tickets for the later viewing. Typical! Well, we had a few hours to kill time so we went to Sagra. Here is what we thought:

Mara says: The décor upon entering was gorgeous – very dim and moody. It seemed to have a nice sized bar/lounge area that was on a separate level than the dining room. We opted to sit upstairs because we knew we had a lot of time. Their first mistake—sitting us next to a dysfunctional family. I couldn’t keep my ears out of their conversation and I had to restrain myself from giving dirty looks. We opted for a bottle of Stone Creek Merlot (very sweet and delicious) and the arancini to start. The cheese and risotto didn’t seem to be mixed well, so they were a bit dry and needed a lot of tomato sauce. Regardless, they were a good size and held us over until our meals arrived. I opted for the Gnocchi L’Orange in duck sauce, partly because of my excellent experience with duck at Bocado, and partly because I love gnocchi. I was underwhelmed, sadly. The hint of orange was a bit too strong and didn’t compliment the tomato sauce very well. The gnocchi were a good size and filled me up very fast, but there was just something missing. I’m actually sad to write this because Eric’s meal was so tasty (I tested it out for him to make sure it wasn’t poisonous), but this was far from what I expected and probably not a place that I’d run back to. B- at best.

Eric says: While searching for a place to kill some time in Davis Square, we were able to quickly veto a few places and were left with Sagra. With that said, we did not have high expectations when walking to Sagra -- or should I say shivering --since it was only about 15 degrees out. When we entered I was pleasently surprised by the atmosphere and décor. The open floor plan is seperated into smaller sections by red, velvety curtains. To begin, we ordered a bottle of red wine and risotto balls (arancini). I enjoyed the risotto balls almost as much as the wine. For my main course , I ordered veal parmesan which I had never tried before. My eye's lit up with joy when I saw my plate arrive- a large serving of both pasta and veal. The veal seemed to be breaded a little too much since I was unable to tell if it was veal, chicken or eggplant. The night was capped off with a great movie though, so all in all I gave Sagra a B, since a large serving is the fastest way to my heart.



Price : Looks like a meteor hit Eric's wallet!
Atmosphere: Great for a date, dim and moody with warm tones and textures.
Food: Could be less bland..

No comments: